Thursday, March 12, 2009

Jared Mafs

Today my firstborn son turned eight years old. I still remember that first pregnancy...the excitement and anticipation of how life would change. It took "forever" for my tummy to show (definitely never took that long with the other pregnancies!) and I couldn't wait to be a cute pregnant woman. :) Jared's due date was March 17th. The morning of my birthday, my water broke at 4a.m. and we were off to the hospital. I was so nervous to experience labor, but was told almost immediately that he was breach and my emergency c-section would be in one hour! Yikes...I didn't even read the handouts about cesearean births! We had not found out the sex of our baby, and many friends and family were convinced it was a girl. We also were advised to plan on being two weeks late with a long 12 hour delivery. Despite the "experts" predictions, Jared Matthew was born five days early and within a couple of hours!
.
Motherhood was a little more challenging than I had expected. Nursing didn't go well and Jared was a baby labeled with colic. Everywhere we went our sweet boy cried and cried (and spit up!). It is so true that the first child is the "guinea pig." If only I knew then what I know now, I probably could have remedied many situations. It has taken a lot of heart and soul...and growth on BJ and my part to be his parents. We praise God for His wisdom and the fruit He is producing in Jared. Children are a blessing!

Jared has really blossomed into a fine young man. He is an organized, conscientious boy - always wanting to make a relationship right that needs to be righted. Jared is responsible and my "memo list"....he has the best memory! When he is told to remember something he will...and he will also remember things you wish he'd forget! He loves to play games with Jesse, read books to Justin (when he will sit still), and carry J.R. around. Even though he is getting big, Jared still loves to snuggle and give hugs. He is also very sensitive to the things of God.




I can hardly believe my baby is eight years old. Happy Birthday Jared! We love you!

3 comments:

Carlson Family said...

Happy Birthday! They grow up way to fast huh? Erik LOVES the picture of him holding the BB gun!

Christi said...

So much of your story is similar to mine! Yeah, I wish I knew then what I know now! Maybe I need to talk to you about what life was like when Jared was five :)

Amy said...

Happy Birthday, Jared! We love you. I can hardly believe that my first nephew is 8... good times with you, my friend!