Thursday, November 6, 2008

We are sad

Today our goat, Snoofy, died. BJ and I were really sad to lose him. Tonight I cleaned out the fridge and BJ and I just sighed- the outdated leftovers always went to Snoofs. Snoofy was given to us two years ago from a friend of John's that had to move. He was pretty old when we got him, but had a nice personality. I remember driving home from Portland being so embarrassed because we had a bale of hay, a tarp made into a makeshift corner shelter, and a goat who kept hanging his head out the side of the trailer baaaa-ing. We got a lot of looks on that drive! (There is never a dull moment with my husband.) :) Anyway, I grew to love and appreciate Snoofy, except for the many times he got loose and BJ, of course, was never home, and then I would have to catch him and get him back in the field. And then there was the time he got loose and ate all three of my flowering kale I had just potted! Our boys are sad, but don't totally understand. Earlier in the week we told them we thought Snoofy might be dying and I said "what will we do with him when he dies." Jesse replied, "we could eat him." :) Hopefully someday we will own another goat as sweet as Snoofy.

2 comments:

The Grimes Family Adventures said...

That is so sad!! You are a great writer! I love Jesse response- when we lost Megan (for a few days) Mariah was heart broken, but the twins said its ok we can get a new one, and then Addi said I want a cat, and Emma said no I want a horse. It didnt seem to bother them:) Have a great day

lori said...

Ahhh. Condolences on the loss of Snoofy. I remember the loss of each of our family pets over the years. It's never easy, but in the end always worth having them for what they add to the family life and memories.

As for Jesse, well, I guess there's a practical one in every bunch.