Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Another Birthday

March 12 is an important day around here.  Jared and Mommy have birthdays.  This year Jared turned 11 years old!!!  Jared and I were especially thankful to have my mom drive up from Florence to spend the day with us.
Cards like these make my day. :)

My sweet husband bought me a GPS this year.  Here is why....A few weeks earlier I had tried to take the boys to OMSI for the day by myself.  I knew that it was a Monday holiday and would be crowded, but I thought it would still be okay.  Well, it wasn't!!!  There was a huge line of people waiting to get inside and no parking to be found except in an overflow lot 3-4 blocks away. Plus parking our van in tight spots makes me a little nervous. :)  I don't know if it was the holiday or the body exhibit that caused this craziness.  Anyway, I called BJ for some advice and he suggested I take them all to the zoo.  I don't know how to get to the zoo from OMSI.  His directions over the phone were not working.  I was so turned around.  My many phone calls to him were not helping.  I finally found a highway I recognized and called it quits.  This adventure took us for a 3 hour trip in the van without ever getting out. I felt so bad for the boys that I bought them ice cream once we reached Woodburn. :)  Now I will, hopefully, never get lost again.
Jared protecting his candle flame from the 2 year old. :)
It is hard for me to accept that my baby is getting older.  Jared is really maturing as a young man.  The other day he accompanied me to Wal-mart and insisted on buying me a treat.  He is so generous with buying surprises for his family.  Gifts and surprises are definitely his love language.  I am also noticing some manly qualities emerging in Jared.  He is starting to "protect" me....and as the mommy I am trying to let him.  This is a godly quality that he will need for his own family someday.  And if you know Jared, you know that he has his future pretty planned out. :)
Happy Birthday to my oldest son....we love you!

1 comments:

Amy said...

happy birthday indeed. hard to believe my first nephew is 11. love you Jared!