Friday, November 25, 2011

caught up and caramel apples

I am a little behind....again.  I finally finished posting our life from October.  Thank goodness November hasn't been too exciting. :) Busyness is different for everyone. Most people would say they are busy, and I would not dispute that. I have never been into the whole "my life is busier than yours" thing.  So for me and what I can handle, I feel pretty busy these days. There are times when I think I can not do this job of mothering and the work that comes with it.  There are times when I think going on a date (or trip to Hawaii) with BJ would be so wonderful. There are also times when I look at my boys and think about how much more fun we are going to have when they are all teenagers.  This is a busy time for Beege and I, but I know it is only for a season.  And any older person, especially the ones at Wal-mart, will tell you that it goes by so fast.
All that to say, when life gives you apples....make caramel apples.  It's late. :)
 
The five older boys and I had a fun time making this yummy treat. The boys are always so thrilled to do an activity like this that it makes the mess well worth it.

Here is the recipe.....

1/2 cup butter
1 cup light corn syrup
2 cups brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Wash apples and allow them to dry. Combine the first three ingredients in a large saucepan.  When butter is melted add the condensed milk.  Stir constantly until it reaches the soft ball stage (230 degrees). Take off of heat and stir in vanilla.
Dip apples once the mixture has cooled to 200 degrees. Place on a buttered cookie sheet and allow to sit a few minute before adding the "extras." 
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Christi said...

I love all these posts, Elaine. You are SUCH a hard worker, and I often think of you when I am doing the mundane tasks, knowing you are doing at least twice as much as me. I don't have pity, though, just an inspiration to keep going with a heart of gratitude. I recently read One Thousand Gifts and I think you would love it. You are doing awesome, friend.

Carlson Family said...

Yum! I will be making these! I am a sucker for caramel apples!

erika trautman said...

Leave it to you to not say you are busier than anyone else...I love how humble you are! When I have insane moments with my TWO, I need to remember you and your SEVEN and what a wonderful mom you are (even if one of mine has the energy of four of yours...or one of your Judson). Miss you!