Thursday, April 7, 2011

My crockpot bit the dust....

It gave me 13 good years. A little reflecting on my slow cooker..... Anyone who knows me knows I can sometimes over-think decisions. I remember the summer Erika, Tammy, and I made our plans for the next year at WPC as roommates. We divided up the small appliances we wanted to share. My contribution was the crockpot. I still remember shopping with BJ and really thinking about this decision...do I go with the 4 or 5 quart. I knew I wanted five children someday and would be cooking larger meals. I finally decided on the bigger one...and it served us well. So many roasts, chilis, and spaghetti sauces were made in this thing over the years. Too bad it died with a chicken in it on a day we were out and about. :) Crockpots these days are so fancy with an on light and even a warming feature! Should I go for another 5 quart or larger?

5 comments:

Seth & Andrea Cook said...

I am about to have to buy my 3rd crock pot! I don't seem to have good luck keeping them alive...or I just wear them out using them too much! I have a 7qt crock pot and I LOVE having a big one to make huge batches of soup or things to freeze. Even with only two kids it's my vote!

5 Boys and a Princess said...

I'm not sure how big mine is but it's a big oval with a removeable crock and a latching lid for transporting to potlucks. I love it so much I have 2 now.

Remember, a new crockpot will cook hotter than your old trusty one, they upped the heat for "safety" about 10 years ago.

Carlson Family said...

We have a 7qt crock pot and I would never go any smaller. I love my crock pot, If and when it dies I think I would be out the next day buying a new one. :)

The Weems Family said...

We went through 3 crock pots in the first 7 years of our marriage. One almost started a fire.

Our family uses an enameled, Lodge brand, 6 qt dutch oven. I pop that in the oven or on the cooker and it work just like the crock pot. No fire, melted counter tops, or burned food. I've used it on gas and electric stoves. And it takes less energy to cook because the iron holds the heat better.

I chose the one with the metal handle so it can go in the oven at a high temp (If I want to) and it is dishwasher safe because of the enamel!

http://www.katom.com/261-E6D30.html

Whatever you pick, go big! A couple years from now you may need two crock pots!

Mars said...

Oh, Elaine, get the biggest one they've got! :)
A couple years ago, I was making dinner for a family at our church with a new baby. I was going to make beef stew in the crockpot. I thought I'd just make 2 batches, so we could have beef stew for dinner, too. So, I borrowed my sis-in-law's crockpot, got them both all filled up with meat and veggies, turned them on, and left the house for the day. Got home that afternoon...and I had forgotten to plug them in! I'm pretty sure I actually cried about it. We had no money, I had literally scraped the money together to do it, and now nothing to bring them! Ugh!
But...I do LOVE using my crockpot. I am always just extra anal about making sure it's plugged in!!!