Saturday, October 26, 2013

Last visit with mom....

My mom went to be with Jesus on August 27th.  I still feel in shock about the whole experience.  She had battled cancer for last 5 years, but the end came fast.  After a trip to California she came home sounding very worn out. I thought she had just overdone it, but a trip to the ER showed she had only a little while left with us.  She mentioned maybe through Thanksgiving....but from the day she found out the news and called us, it was just 10 days later.  We were mentally thinking we'd head down there in a week and half, but by the Lord's gracious promptings and council from a few wise people, we made the trip that Wednesday instead.  Amy and her family were there as well and we are so grateful we went when we did.  My mom was weak but able to still visit with us, eat, and walk around some.  We came to her home in small visits throughout the next 3 days and did our best to let the 11 grands get their wiggles out in between. It was such an emotional time.  So weird to be sitting with her talking knowing she only had a few weeks left to be with us.  Our families said their good-byes, and Amy and I made a promise to return the following Tuesday.  My next few days were busy with normal life and getting things caught up before I left my family to be with my mom. Ray called us on Sunday telling us we needed to get there earlier than we had planned.  And so on Monday Amy picked me up and we headed down.  The difference in my mom was unbelievable as she never spoke to us or was coherent again.  When we first arrived and went to her bedside I called out, "mom, we are here."  She opened her eyes for a moment and then went right back to sleep.  The rest of her time on earth we tried to make her comfortable administering her meds, but on Tuesday afternoon she breathed her final breath....and was gone.  

These pictures were taken during the last visit.





So thankful I still have my sister.

0 comments: