Tuesday, May 18, 2010

4-H

Our first 4-H experience went well. Last month Jared and Jesse entered their rabbits in the spring youth fair. It has always been a dream for BJ and I to get our boys involved in 4-H...and we thought rabbits would be a good place to start. Being raised in the city, the trappings of small town/country life are something of a novelty to us. :) What fun! I will say though, after being at the fair for 2 1/2 days, a whole week of this would seem a little long! We had a great time...and learned a ton. :)

There were quite a few serious rabbit people there. Our rabbits were entered in the pet category because their markings disqualify them for the Dutch category. We did learn, however, that Oliver has a very desirable hairline! :)
Our boys enjoyed an hour of herdsmanship.
This is the written test...trying to decide which feeder would be the best among other rabbit questions.
I loved seeing our boys in their white shirts and jeans. (They are supposed to wear this when showing their animals.) I even wore my romeos to be more 4H-y. :)
Jesse was awarded champion for his age group and Jared reserve champion. We were proud of the way our boys carried themselves...especially since Jesse and I were so nervous going into this and Oliver can be a little naughty!
Pretty exciting, huh?

4 comments:

Christi said...

I thought I noticed Oliver's hairline was quite exceptional! What a memorable experience.

Steve said...

Very good of you to wear your Romeos to conform a bit better to the image of a 4H Mama. :) Jessica

Amy said...

I am so proud of our boys!! (of course you get all the credit =) Looks like a great experience.

The Weems Family said...

What Fun. You can see how proud the boys are of their work! I especially like the picture of Jesse with his hands in his pockets, like a real man.